research and development
Hello, my name is Cristaña and though I am no medical professional, and do not claim to give any advice, I simply want to share my experience and the things that worked the best for me when I had Bell's Palsy.
What is Bell's Palsy-Nerve VII is pinched in the neck/ cervical vertebra and that causes the facial muscles to become "frozen" or "immobilized" usually on one side of your face; for an indefinite period of time. Causes vary from ear infections, or virus to high stress and little sleep...
What are the signs that Bell's Palsy has occurred? Unlike a stroke, the whole body functions normally, except for half of the face. The nerves that signal facial muscles to smile, blink, and flare the nostrils, are not able to clearly communicate. Often, a smile may appear "crooked", and the affected eye is DANGEROUSLY subject to drying out.*See my video post to watch how I effectively taped my eye shut at night. This was imperative or a potential loss of sight may have resulted.
**At first, I really thought my affected eye was closing at night, but as my friend Devorah Sklar warned me; the eye was not TOTALLY CLOSED, and therefore dangerously subject to dryness and excruciating pain!!! :((
The Actions I took to facilitate my healing process:
1. First and most importantly-I got a ton of rest. 12-16 hours a day, including naps. The body is a miracle machine that can actually itself if we rest. *Bell's can reoccur on the same side or other side of the face.
2. Second, I went to my Chiropractor, Dr. Christian Thompson, in Bradenton, FL. Another Dr. that I found most helpful was Dr. Kevin Lin of Fernandina Beach, FL.'s Precision Chiropractic His treatments only adjust the atlas and axis bones (if needed). I only had 4 treatments and made marked improvement! Quality Chiropractic care repositions the vertebra to allow the Central Nervous System to operate unhindered. Since my nerve was pinched; and the signal interrupted, the chiropractic treatments made significant difference for me!
3. Internal Supplements: Increasing my water intake (flush out toxins and help my neurological system), colloidal silver spray daily and 1000 mg of Lysine also sped things up. The water helped my body's electrical signals and the colloidal silver and Lysine strengthened my immune system. Yay!
*I ingested as much Watt-Ahh (online product) as I could afford. My body finds it is superior source of water.
4. Nightly-I lubricated both eyes with Thera-Tears (a fabulous over the counter eye treatment)! Then
I meticulously used cotton balls, gauze pads and blue low adhesive tape, and taped my eye each night.
5. PRAYER-I received prayer from many friends, leaders and family members. This was the biggest blessing of all, as I waited,
in faith -filled expectation for my healing or a miracle!
I hope to upload the videos or youtube them at a future time. Hope that my sharing personal experiences will prove beneficial for readers and their loved ones!
3 of the Main Causes of Bell's Palsy:
1. Inner ear infection or pressure on the temporal nerve in ear region (most of the time an acute headache over the ear is a warning sign)
2. Nerve VII pinched due to rapid head or neck movement.
3. Viral interference to the nervous system (virus or flu like symptoms) though this is more rare
TRIVIA: some internet surveys report 1 in every 200,000 persons experiences Bell's Palsy in their lifetime, but my personal experience is 1 in every 500. That is a HUGE discrepancy. The recurrence of Bell's Palsy is very common. I hope to live a more stress free life and get more rest now that I have learned some valuable lessons.